Friday, December 2, 2011

Finalizing Leadership Structure

Sorry it has been a while since the last post.  Lots of excitement at ACTFL and then quickly we were in the Thanksgiving rush.  However, we have been making lots of great progress in moving the company forward.  I believe our success is predicated on a few basic things:

*Have the best Learning Outcomes for Students (the key to proving that we have the best product!)
*Have the best Brand in the World Language Market (we have a huge advantage with the involvement of Middlebury College and their established expertise)
*Have the best Sales and Marketing Plan and execute on it (I think we've made enormous progress here, but it is an on-going focus)  AND
*Have the best team (this has always been the key to my professional -- and personal! -- success)

Best Brand + Best Learning Outcomes + Best Sales/Marketing Plan + Best Team = MIL success

My efforts leading the company are focused on these areas and the goals they enable.  As we have had many changes (including my arrival) to the team, I know folks have wanted to see a new org chart.  Today, I am unveiling that here:  http://www.gliffy.com/publish/3056890/  It is only senior leadership as well as folks who have had their reporting relationship changed.  We will complete it in the coming weeks with every member of our team.  You probably saw the highlights of this in my all-company email, but this blog is my chance -- given our dispersed locations -- to share with you more of my thinking.

A few important principles:

1.  While I recognize that everyone wants structure and it is important to have clear reporting lines and to know what is expected of you and to whom you report, we are a young, entrepreneurial company and we should not be hierarchical.  Just before I began to compose this email I sent one to Kandyce to ask her help on an important issue with Dr. Geisler.  I definitely copied Dana and Spencer so they knew what I was asking, but I didn't feel like I needed to send them an email asking them to get Kandyce to help ... timing didn't allow it, and too much could have been lost in translation.

2.  I have greatly streamlined my reporting structure.  In my opinion it is hard to be effective with too many direct reports and in a non-hierarchical organization (see point number one) it seems not to be worth the risk. 

3.  We have been adding new senior leadership at a time when we have had to rationalize our organization and I know how hard that can be.  I am confident that we have streamlined and aligned our team for success.  We had some huge gaps in competency, and other places where we had been using part time consultants for critical tasks.  I hope that as you have the chance to work with new team members or team members who have taken on new, larger roles that they (like me) will earn your confidence and that you will see the value they bring to our team.

NEW TEAM MEMBERS: 

Probably of greatest note is the fact that we have not hired a full time COO.  I won't go through the gory details, but the offer that was made has not been able to be accepted yet.  However, the need for operational support is enormous and therefore I am pleased the Dana Laursen has agreed, on an interim basis, to serve in an operations role.  Dana's industry experience, willingness to spend considerable time in Provo, and clear vision of what the education market is requiring from on-line providers, will allow her to be successful leading our product teams.  The work done at the VT Curriculum Summit, the follow up work led by Linda, and the culminating meetings which occurred in Denver have clarified the challenges and opportunities in this critical area.  Of note, the bulk of our quarterly Middlebury Interactive board meeting scheduled for next Friday in New York City will be spent discussing product issues, industry trends and sales & customer feedback on our newly released products.  We have some exciting work and great success ahead and I am grateful to Dana for stepping up and taking on this leadership role.

Another important occurrence, represented on this org chart, is the appointment of Heidi Rose to be our Chief Marketing Officer.  In this role, Heidi will be responsible for insuring that we have the BEST Sales and Marketing Plan in the industry.  She is uniquely qualified to do so given her extensive experience in the education industry.  As many of you know, Heidi began working as a part time contractor for us early this past summer and her contributions have been many and valuable.  While a great deal of her work is visible to all of us (our new MMLA website and our new logo) there is a lot more value she adds every day that you never see.  As we prepare for explosive software growth in the coming years, her branding and marketing work and her experience with a rapidly growing education company, will be critical to our success.

On January 16th, our team will be expanded with the arrival of Stacey Rainey.  Stacey will be based in Middlebury and she and her family will be relocating from Boston to the area this summer.  Most recently, Stacey has worked for Microsoft's Partners in Learning program and was previously working as a consultant with the Parthenon Group on several education projects.  Prior to that, Stacey launched her career in the public realm working with me -- particularly as I worked on education reform efforts in Massachusetts. 

Lastly, while not a new team member, Ismail Khan has a new title that represents the significant value he brings to our organization.  Certainly his financial expertise is needed and important, but his strategic insights and level headed perspectives are of extraordinary value to me as well.

With the gap created with Joseph South's departure, Spencer Cook has really stepped up to take on a greater leadership role relative to both technology and content development.  His new role as a VP reflects the important role which he has been playing and will be continuing to play as we insure our terrific products deliver the BEST learning outcomes.

Additionally, as many of you know, Colleen Skeffington has added to her MMLA purchasing responsibilities supporting me as I seek to maintain a pretty aggressive travel and meeting schedule.  If you are looking for me, she likely will know where to find me.

There are so many people who have impressed me with their capabilities, passion and good humor since I've arrived here.  I am very proud to be part of this team and take very seriously my responsibility to set us all up for success.  And I hope we'll have fun along the way!

Speaking of fun, next week I am giving a speech on virtual learning in Boston on Monday, presenting to a group of Florida Superintendents in Jacksonville on Tuesday, sharing in the excitement of the MMLA training of the call center in Herndon, returning to address a Women's Conference in Boston on Thursday before heading to New York City for our board meeting (and the Middlebury College Holiday Party) on Friday.  I will try to get back on the blogging wagon next week to share with you my thoughts and discoveries.



No comments:

Post a Comment