For
those of you who don’t know me, I am Eric Mack, the new Marketing
Coordinator. Well, that is enough about
me.
On
October 25th and 26th folks involved with various elements of Middlebury
Interactive’s marketing efforts came together in Middlebury for two days of
meetings aimed at clearly defining roles and responsibilities across the
team. Locals Stacey, Tom, and Jason were
joined by new hires Jay Bhambhani and Eric Mack, while Linda and Ryan joined us
from California. In our next blog, we’ll share faces and titles of the full
team and what they do.
The
image below illustrates at a high level how responsibilities will be
divided. A special thanks to Linda for
providing this framework.
I will refrain
from going through every box on the diagram, but will offer a quick explanation
and some FAQs to assist everyone in knowing who to contact when they have
questions. Let’s take the scenario of an
idea you came up with and jotted down on a napkin when out to dinner with the
family. The first thing you would do is
send your idea to Product Management.
Since
this is the best idea in company history we can assume it is approved at every
step. Now clear your mind and imagine
Richard Attenborough narrating the magical process of your idea becoming the
DNA of the future of our company. Once
Product Management assesses that we have or can develop the needed technology,
Business Development analyzes the project feasibility. They will look at the size of the market,
competition, and potential sales. Sales
will be consulted to share what they are hearing in the marketplace.
When the
project is approved several things will happen; Product Management creates a
budget and a schedule. Marketing creates
a strategy and Product Marketing researches the competitive landscape and works
with our partner channels to price the product.
Product Marketing puts together a launch plan and works with Marketing
and Sales to create the needed sales tools, demonstrations and collateral. Marketing creates campaigns for lead
generation and awareness. Sales works
leads, maintains relationships, gives product demos and works events with the
support of Marketing.
A few
common scenarios and recent questions the team has received is included here in
a list of FAQs that further explain who is doing what going forward. We’ll add to this list in our next blog post,
so please forward any suggestions to emack@middil.com
Q. Who do I contact if I am looking for
information on corporate branding or positioning? This includes items such as
the style guide, company and brand logos, presentation templates, and
letterhead.
A. Eric
will cover this and put you in contact with Jason if it is a unique situation
or special request.
Q. If I am looking for product specific
collateral such as one pagers and spec sheets?
A. Linda
will send you the requested document or in the case one does not exist she can
create something for you.
Q. I am headed to a conference, trade show, or
a meeting with a customer and need corporate collateral, who should I contact.
A.
Contact Eric and he will work with Jason to decide what materials you need or
if something needs to be created for you.
Q. Who do I contact if I am looking for
information about a market or a specific competitor?
A. Jay
will be able to assist you.
Q. A customer just asked me for the technical
specifications of a product, who should I ask for this information?
A.
Linda.
Q. If I am having a technical problem or need a
new product demonstration created, who should I contact?
A. Linda
is in charge of the creation and fixing of product demonstrations, but is not
involved in scheduling of or training for a product demonstration.
Q. A customer has asked for a product demo or
presentation, who do I ask about this?
A. Chad
or Jamie can help determine if someone from sales can attend or if a webinar is
sufficient. They may also point you to
materials to help prepare you to deliver the session.
Q. While looking at one of the websites (MIL,
MMLA, or Powerspeak), I have found an issue with or have a recommendation to
improve the site, who should I contact about this?
A.
Please email Jason and Eric and they will sequence the fix with Ryan.
Q. Who can answer questions about product
release dates and product roadmaps?
A. Tom
will field all these questions until a Product Manager is hired.
Q. Are we attending ________ tradeshow or
conference? If I have a question about
conferences or tradeshows who should I contact?
A. Jason
can share with you his plan for the company or connect you to additional
resources at K12.
Again,
please let me know if you believe there are other questions that should be
added.
Look for
another blog from me next week that introduces you to the full Marketing team.

This is great. With our rapid growth, this is a great way to keep everyone aligned. Should we do this for other departments that have grown or have new hires/leadership??
ReplyDeleteEric, nice job. I just want to reaffirm with people that if they have product ideas, it's better to get the idea to Product Management (me, for now) in rough form than to try to make a 10-slide deck...otherwise we usually forget the idea for 6 months and then it's too late.
ReplyDeleteWell done Eric!
ReplyDeleteSo who is Richard?